Sunday, April 24, 2011

Susan G. Komen for the Cure


It's about that time again! Summer is the perfect time for a walk! Good thing we have plenty of charities who sponsor walks, but since "I am woman," I think I'll dedicate this post to Race for the Cure and the Susan G. Komen Foundation.

"Susan G. Komen for the Cure® is the world's largest grassroots network of breast cancer survivors and activists fighting to save lives, empower people, ensure quality care for all and energize science to find the cures. Thanks to events like the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure®, Komen has invested nearly $1.5 billion to fulfill its promise, becoming the largest source of nonprofit funds dedicated to the fight against breast cancer in the world."

Every summer, towns and cities from all of the nation, and a few across the world, host a Race for the Cure. You can either choose to walk or run. While I don't personally know of anyone that has or has had breast cancer, I have participated in Race for the Cure since I was a young babe. My aunts have been chairwomen for their Race for the Cure in Peoria, IL and have traveled all over the globe to race as well. The race has taken them to Rome and Germany. They have inspired my whole family to also participate in the race over the years as well.

Although any kind of cancer ruins lives and families, breast cancer, for me, is a great way to give back. I will want the help if I ever develop such a terminal illness, and could only hope that there are women out there who support me.

I believe everyone should get involved in such a great cause, breast cancer can strike any of the women who are close to you, and you need to be prepared if it ever does.




Quote from : http://www.komenadvocacy.org/content.aspx?id=34

No comments:

Post a Comment